Back To Contents
A kidney transplant is a surgical procedure to place a healthy kidney from a living or deceased donor into a person whose kidneys no longer function properly. Kidney transplant can be done before starting dialysis (pre pre-emptive transplant) or after initiating dialysis (post dialysis transplant). Although most transplants are successful and last for many years, how long they last can vary from one person to the next. Many people will need more than one kidney transplant during a lifetime. Read about the kidney transplant process here: (Link)
Research shows that around 15% of post transplant patients die because they forget to take their pills. Transplant patients need to take immunosuppressant drugs that help prevent their immune systems from attacking the new organ. Drugs must be taken for the patients’ lifetimes many times a day and nearly half of patients miss their doses.
My challenge was to fit all of the functionality of a healthcare, elearning, social, health and progress tracking, calendar, alerts and video conferencing application for pre and post opp kidney patients.
My solution is a mobile app that alerts users when it is time to take their medication, upcoming appointments and goals, tracks their health, provides elearning and webinars, etc. But besides that, it is an interactive tool that is simple to use and that offers users positive reinforcement for medication adherence through educational mechanisms, progress tracking and involving friends and family in the patients care along with providing a social community, video calling features and everything a patient needs to stay in touch with their care team.
As product, UX, UI designer, my involvement spanned all stages of the design process: research, strategy, design, and user testing.
Defining product design concept, information architecture and creating wireframes. Making decisions around content, design, and product strategy that are informed by metrics and research.
Design research. Planning and conducting design research, organizing workshops with stakeholders to discuss research findings and synthesize solutions, validate design decisions through usability studies.
Product strategy. Planned and led brainstorm sessions with stakeholders to create shared understanding of business and user needs, coordinated product strategy and prioritized product backlog based on business goals.
In order to gather insight I chose to conduct generative research with the goal of stepping into transplant patients’ shoes, to understand their lives and solve problems from their perspectives.
A series of interviews with patients and subject matter experts (transplant surgeons, nurses) and a review of current research on medical adherence.
My next step was to transform the research findings into meaningful and actionable insights. I organized several ideation sessions with the team and stakeholders to make sense of what we learned and come up with some ideas of what we should build to help transplant patients better stick to their medication regimen and keep learning ways to improve and stay in touch with their care team.
The following features would be implemented into the mobile app:
Based on the motivations in my user stories, I generated a list of user personas to help define the main tasks of users. I then created user flows in Sketch ( Link ) to break down the complex user stories and visualize the paths of action users take to achieve their goals.
This stage of the design process was critical in identifying the areas of cognitive overload and redundancies.
In creating my wireframes, I focused on reducing confusion of the entire application, balancing the amount of content, visual balance, and user-friendly UI. To reach these goals, I stripped away extraneous features users were less interested in.
After meeting all the goals to pixel perfection, I added the interactive features in the prototype. Interactive Prototype Link
I created an interactive prototype with Sketch and animated it with Adobe XD ( Interactive Prototype Link ) and wrote a script for user stories (Link). The script focused on directing the new and returning users through customization and the purchasing funnel of their finished product.
The results from the first round of user testing showed that users were overwhelmed by the number of screens. I noticed that the app was diverging from familiar editing actions of the web app. So I added a first-time user onboard process that highlighted the application process and key features.
With the help of additional testing, I was able to condense the onboarding process to a few screens. Users found this onboarding process to be, in their words, “self-explanatory” and “easy-to-understand.” Most importantly, the addition reduced the confusion and led to more users using the application.
This project taught me to: